One of the great things about living in Southern California is that the warm weather is never very far away. There are certainly cold, rainy days when I want to eat casseroles and drink tea, but then the beautiful sunny weather returns and lighter, fresher tasting foods beckon….like potato salad.
I love this potato salad because it packs a little bit of a kick. Not too much – just enough to make it stand out from the crowd. It also substitutes half the potato with cauliflower, making it that much healthier and yummier – and who doesn’t love that?
Potato-Cauliflower Salad with Horseradish
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (I used Vegenaise)
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream (I used Follow Your Heart brand)
- 3-4 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 2 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp natural sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 6-8 small yukon gold potatoes chopped in 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
Boil potatoes until tender (9-12 minutes), drain and put aside. Steam cauliflower florets for 6-8 minutes, until al dente. Combine cauliflower and potatoes in a large bowl and add green onions and celery.
Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, vinegar, sugar, Sriracha, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add mayonnaise mixture to potatoes and cauliflower. Combine well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
You may also like: